Thursday, May 08, 2008

Common Questions & Personal Answers


By the will of Allah, I’ll be registering as a final year Bachelor of Pharmacy (B. Pharm) student this coming July 7, 2008. Thinking about this always makes me feel terrible since it means that within one year from now on, I’ll be serving my people with my own capacity gifted by Allah the Almighty. A gift from Allah is one story but my own preparation is another story. There are too many things that I have to learn by heart so that I can face the in-coming obstacles patiently and successfully. I wonder if I can give the best of me to other people. So, I say a little pray that He’ll be guiding me, shower me with His Blessing along the way and help me to be istiqamah in His way, amen!

In the beginning of every new academic session, these common questions will be bombarded to me by my juniors:

1- “What are the things that we will learn during the first year?”
2- “Is that difficult to study pharmacy?”
3- “What is so special doing the B. Pharm?”

The followings are my personal based-on-experience-answers dedicated to all my juniors out there! Because they are personal answers, so they may not resemble other official remarks, okay? Hope they can provide you a clearer over-view.

1- There are 2 answers for this question. Firstly, you will study the fundamental subjects such as intro to pharmacy, physiology, pharmacy practice, anatomy & histology, Islamic worldview, physical pharmacy, organic chemistry, microbiology, Bahasa Melayu, IT etc. You have to aim to score as much as possible during this 1st year of the real campus life. These should be motivating though, since you’ll be facing a lot of new terms which you never come across while you were studying in CFS. It’s a new knowledge which should be adored wholeheartedly. To achieve the aim, you have to simultaneously put a strong grip to my second answer.

So, secondly, you will learn on how to adapt with a totally new life: new friends, new roommates, new lecturers, new subjects, and of course new responsibilities. If you can’t cope with these new stuffs, they will terribly affect your study. Sounds scary? Don’t worry, dear. As long as you open your big heart to take the challenge, you’ll be strong enough. Don’t take too much time only to recognize your own effective study style. I advise this since poking your face on the books all the times and neglecting other things is not a good habit. As a dai’e, you also have 24 hours a day just like others. Thus, you have to wisely manage your precious time as your burdens will be relatively greater than others, which make your time lesser than your responsibilities. The most important thing is do plan your life carefully and making a things-to-do-list will be very helpful. After your every struggle, put your tawakkal on Allah. Hopefully, He is guiding you to the very best that you can do. It is not a peculiar thing to suddenly hear a scream in the midst of a peaceful night. Oops, not a hysteria! Rather, it is a tension scream of those who do not know how to practice tawakkal. Now, you see the importance of good management, striving and surrendering? So, be cool!

2- Well, for me, it’s not fair to say that this course is more difficult than that course or this course is lighter than any other course. For example, a medical student may think that his course is the hardest thing in the world he has to face because he has to study almost all diseases, diagnosis, prevention and treatment in detail. Once entering the clinical years, he’ll be doing the ward-round and on-call now and then. The student will be graded as only pass or fail in every examination and the examination takes 3 – 4 days. Whereas, a pharmacy student may also want to say that he has a tougher life. He has to go to class from 8 am to 6 pm almost everyday, study about diseases, prevention, treatment and drugs (in detail), write 3 – 4 lab reports to be submitted in a week, do the case write-up in the clinical years, attach to retail and hospital pharmacy to gain experience and sit for mid- and end-semester examination which will usually last for at least 1 week and the results will be carried forward to the next subsequent years. By giving this real example, I bet you can now understand that this is the kind of life that human beings have to lead; there are ups and downs, sooner or later. Try to be patient, alright?

3- For the third question, the answer is: SECRETS! To dig out the secrets, you have to be in the journey of a pharmacy student. As you move forward, more and more secrets will be revealed. It's only you who will know what the special things are, not anyone else. I’ve found some of the buried secrets which I hope can help me in becoming one of the loyal servants of Allah and I’m still searching for more. I hope that you’ll find the treasure too!

2 comments:

hajarzainal said...

kak ac, thanks..i'm really scare to face kuantan life..err, may i ask other question? should i bring all chemistry and biology books dat i bought at cfs?
thanks a bunch anyway(^_^)

Asiyah said...

yeah, bringing ur books might give a little help for at least u can revise a bit about the fundamental things but u need new books, too, for more details since u only saw only the surface of the things in CFS, not into the depth yet